Getting to know my Grandma through her recipes
My
Grandma died last year and in her eulogy I talked about how there were a lot of
things we didn’t have in common. She had a green thumb and loved to make
quilts. I can’t keep a plant alive for the life of me and I can’t sew at all.
There were a lot of other things I didn’t talk about because they weren’t so easily
defined or easy to say. My Grandma was born in1921 and by the time she was my
age she had two kids and another one soon to come. My Grandma was a product of
her time, never was this more clear than when she would come out with a comment
that was blatantly racist or sexist without seeming to notice that anyone was
taking offense. Some of things she said were even harder to stomach than her
openly racist attitudes whether they were a part of her generation or not; such
as her opinions on the appropriate size of a female, leading her to often declare
that she thought my mom and I were getting fat.
She was also blindly devoted to any and all males who were related to
her, believing they could do no wrong. Whereas the women were under constant
scrutiny, never quite getting anything right. However the more I look for
differences between my Grandma and me, the more I run into the similarities. I know
there are many things in my life that she would not approve of such as my
tattoos and perpetual singledom, but there are a number of ways that we are
similar. I see her strength in myself both emotionally and physically when
there is a job that needs to be done. I also see myself in her, in our mutual ability
to stretch a dollar. She lived through the depression and raised a family on almost
nothing and I see same trait in myself when I manage to support myself on very
little. Finally I see a similarity in our use of good food to bring people
together. She was a good cook and used
both familiar nostalgic recipes and fresh new ones to bring her family
together, Christmas wasn’t Christmas without scalloped potatoes and ham with
pineapple. Her food was good, hearty and
simple, something which I think is true about a lot of the things I like to
cook. When I was home at Christmas I started going through her recipe box and
realized there was a number of recipes I wanted to try. I want to use this
space to share my attempts at some of her recipes - both successes and the
mistakes ( I mean there’s a recipe for an aspic in there) in the hope that I
might get to know her better and perhaps myself in the process.
No comments:
Post a Comment