Like the majority of her recipes the fish cake one was
lacking in details, I filled in the blanks with a Jamie Oliver recipe that can
be found here:
Here is her recipe
Fish Cakes
2 cups of mashed potatoes
1 lb salmon
2 tbsp of chopped parsley
½ tsp onion juice
1 well beaten egg
salt and pepper
Directions:
1. Mix well and form into cakes.
2. Roll into cakes
3. Fry until golden brown.
For the life of me I could not figure out what she meant by
onion juice, so I substituted lemon juice and some lemon zest as suggested by
Mr. Oliver. I also skipped the parsley.
1. I cooked my mashed potatoes first, she makes no mention
of cooking the salmon so I am guessing she would have used canned salmon,
canned meat of any kind really grosses me out so I used 2 of the Captain Highligner
frozen fillets that I normally eat. I cooked them using the ingenious method
suggested by Jamie, by putting my fillets in a colander on top of my boiling
potatoes so the steam from the boiling pot can be used to cook the salmon at the same time.
2. Once my potatoes and salmon were cooked I put the fish
aside and put my potatoes in my freezing cold stairwell to cool them off
quickly.
3. Once the potatoes were fairly cool I added the rest of
the ingredients and broke up the salmon fillets and mixed them in.
4. I formed the mixture into cakes and rolled them in flour.
5. I am fairly skeptical of any recipe that requires you to
roll things into cakes or balls and fry them (ie: crab cakes) as I rarely have
any luck keeping these so called cakes together and end up with something that
could be described as crab hash. Surprisingly though with this recipe they
actually stayed TOGETHER! I Then fried my salmon cakes in about 2 tbsps. of olive
oil for 2- 4 minutes on each side on a medium to high temperature, until they
were nice and brown.
6. The result is a really hearty meal that makes good
leftovers, is easy to reproduce and delicious.
Cost of this meal -
If I skip the parsley I will usually have everything in my pantry except the salmon
(which goes for around $6 for 4 fillets).
Prep time – Active under ½ hour, overall around 45 min to 1
hour




No comments:
Post a Comment