Search This Blog

Monday, 1 April 2013

Recipe #6 - Lemon Bread

This was a simple recipe that resulted in a tasty product, although I would double the lemon as I thought it wasn’t lemony enough for my tastes.

Prep Time – Under 10 minutes.
Cost- Under $5.
Verdict – Cheap, simple and tasty, similar to lemon bread you would buy at a Portuguese bakery. Although I would try doubling the lemons or adding lemon juice.

Here is my Grandma’s recipe
½ cup shortening (this woman puts shortening in everything)
2 eggs
1 tsp. salt
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 cup flour
½ cup milk
1 tsp. baking powder
Rind and juice of 1 lemon 

Lemon rind? - was a little confused as to if this meant I was supposed to put the entire lemon skin in, but all the recipes I read said the white pith was not very tasty so I settled for just the zest.

- Cream shortening and then add sugar and eggs
- Add dry ingredients with milk and lemon rind
- Bake 40 min at 350F
- As soon as the loaf comes out of the oven pour the juice of 1 lemon mixed with ¼ cup sugar over the loaf.



No comments:

Post a Comment