Search This Blog

Tuesday, 2 April 2013

Recipe #7 Coffee Cake


Never having had much exposure to coffee cake I kind of always thought it had coffee in it or a flavor that sort of resembled coffee. This is not the case with this cake; rather it appears to be a cake you serve with coffee, when you have company over.

Prep time: Under 10 minutes
Cost: Under $5, it was just the raisins and the shortening that I did not have in my pantry.
Verdict: Not that exciting and kind of dry, I thought it might have been more exciting if I created a thicker topping by adding butter to the cinnamon sugar topping and I could have done without the raisins.

Here is my Grandma’s recipe
2 ½ cups cake flour
1 tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. ground mace (I did not have mace so I substituted nutmeg)
8 tbsp. shortening (Here she goes with the shortening again)
¾ cup brown sugar
1 egg
¾ cup sour milk
1 cup seedless raisins
2 tbsps. sugar
¼ tsp. cinnamon

Sift salt, mace, baking powder and soda.
Cream shortening and blend in sugar.
Add dry ingredients to make crumbly mixtures. Set ¾ cup aside for toppings. Beat egg add milk stir in raisins.
Put in greased pan and sprinkle with crumbs mixture bake at 350 F for 1 hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment